[ubuntu-in] comparison of kword to other document software and other writer issues

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 08:15:39 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Narendra Diwate
<narendra.diwate at gmail.com> wrote:

> Any idea how to
> fix this other than backing up every file before you start working on it, so
> you don't lose everything you have.

Try and setup bak up files

In Open / Libre Office open menu- Tools -> Options -> Load/Save -
General and select Always create a bak up copy

Also select Save Autorecovery Information every "foo x" minutes (mine is 5)

Next  In the openoffice.org sub menu go to paths and (if need be)
change the path of where your autobak up files are . I keep them in a
directory  call autobakup in my home which means that even when i
refresh my system the bak up files remain.

> The formatting issues as well with OOO. But because I don't consider myself
> a real expert of Word formatting and have faced similar issues in MS word, I
> considered them to be lack of skill than a deficiency with the Software.

I had a closer look at the ms word / adobe distiller file and my
impression is that it was more the user than the software - the font
rendering is equally bad (tested by printing a page)

ram