[ubuntu-in] Good news - now Live CD's will be able to upgrade your Ubuntu

Nitesh Mistry mailbox at mistrynitesh.net
Wed Mar 2 10:27:42 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 02, 2011 at 03:17:48PM +0530, Ramnarayan.K wrote:
> Am sure quite a few people will be happy with this move to enable live
> cd's to upgrade an existing system.
>
> **
> Ubuntu Live CD Will Let You Upgrade To Newer Ubuntu Versions [Ubuntu
> 11.04 Development]
> http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/ubuntu-live-cd-will-let-you-upgrade-to.html
>
> An update to the Ubuntu 11.04 installer (Ubiquity) finally brings
> upgrade support to the Ubuntu Live CD. That means that for instance if
> you use Ubuntu 10.10, when you'll boot the Ubuntu 11.04 Live CD you'll
> have an option to upgrade (without losing your documents and installed
> applications). Besides this change, there's also a redesigned
> partitioner:

Sounds very encouraging as the horror stories I have been hearing about
usual release upgrades has always made me do a fresh install every time I
wanted to bump up my distro version.

Definitely worth wait-and-watch. :)

Nitesh Mistry | www.mistrynitesh.com
PGP key id: A6FEF696 | 'geekosopher' on freenode irc