[ubuntu-in] Typing in Indian Languages (was: need desktop search tool)

Arjuna Rao Chavala arjunaraoc at googlemail.com
Thu Jun 23 07:46:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 1:00 PM, KBS Ramachandra <ram at meritsystems.com>wrote:

> How do you enable typing in Indic languages directly? Is there a different
> keyboard layout for each Indian language?
>
> Yes.

> I setup scim and am able to write in Kannada with transliteration in gedit
>
> Would appreciate any inputs on this.

In scim, you can configure additional languages support and specific layouts
(inscript, various phonetic layouts) for each language.
A good reference to this would be  wikipedia article on scim[1].

If you can setup  xkeyboard [2], you do not need to depend on scim/ibus for
inputting if your preference is inscript.

By selecting your language duing install time (from 11.04 for 10 indian
languages), xkeyboard is setup automatically.

Hope the above helps

Arjun
[1]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scim
[2] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xkeyboard-config