[ubuntu-in] How to merge two separate OS 10.04 and 10.10

Alok Singh Mahor alokmahor at gmail.com
Sun Jun 12 07:35:42 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Sriranga(78yrsold) <
withblessings at gmail.com> wrote:

> I had installed Ubuntu 10.04 on one of drive. when tried to install
> ubuntu10.10 on the
> old ubuntu 10.04, unfortunately instead of upgrading from Ubuntu10.04 to
> Ubuntu10.10,
> separately  installed on another drive or partittion. Thus i have two
> ubuntu 10.04 and ubuntu 10.10. Now I want to merge by deleting the old
> ubuntu 10.04 with ubuntu 10.10. Unable to know on which drives both ubuntu
> were
> installed. . I have Winxp  which is working fine.
>
> Question is how to merge the space used by Ubuntu 10.04 with Ubuntu 10.10
> so that I can have more
> space in home of ubuntu 10.10 - (after uninstalled 10.04)
> Since I am newbie to linux, I seek valuable guidance for which i shall be
> thankful to you.
> With regards,
> -sriranga(78yrs)

boot up our computer using live CD or bootable pendrive.
you said you dont know on which drive they(10.04 and 10.10) are installed

after booting from CD/pendrive explore the drives in the places menu. check
you all drive one by one >> you can recognize your drives by seeing data.
now copy the data of Home directory of 10.04's to Home directory of 10.10.

after copying delete that partition which have 10.04 (as you have already
copied your personal data(home directory), no need to worry for all other
file as they are not useful for you)
you have to use gparted from system menu to edit(delete/merge) partition

now delete / partition of 10.04 if you had separate
now have you created unallocated space, merge that unallocated space into
the partition which have your home of 10.10

--
Alok Singh Mahor
http://alokmahor.co.cc