[ubuntu-in] cant log in pc

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 14:01:56 UTC 2011

On 7/1/11, rajubhai ramvani <rajuramvani at gmail.com> wrote:
> dear sir,
> i upgrade kubuntu 9.04 to 9.10. then after i cant login my pc.send me
> solution of this problem.when i enter username and password and press enter
> so for two second i can login .and thenafter coming previous login page.so
> send me solution for this problem.

Seems like your upgrade / update did not happen fully hence some not
fully update packages are causing this GDM breakdown

For the following am assuming you have a decent net connection

from your login screen press Control+Alt+F1
it takes you to a altenate user screen
here enter your user name and password

since your GUI login does not work we have to use the non GUI method
to make sure all your updates are up to datre

at the prompt type
sudo apt-get update
it will ask for your password and after entering that it should update
the onboard software and OS archives with the latest information (only
info not data)

one it says done then at the prompt enter

sudo apt-get upgrade

this should take the info of the update packages and download the
latest available and then after a restart you should have your system
back to normal

**
to go back to your originalk GUI login press control+Alt+f7

to restart from the terminal
sudo shutdown -r now

***
if this fails then it may be a good idea to get a 9.10 CD and
reinstall from there afresh

**
last , am assuming that you have your data backed up

and last last
unless you are really good at disaster recovery try and not use the
"on the fly upgrade" to a higher version" option - usually it causes
some problems

--
Ram