[ubuntu-in] Fwd: Correction in mentioning linux (Please mention it as gnu/linux)

Manish Sinha mail at manishsinha.net
Thu Jan 27 14:29:58 UTC 2011

On 01/27/2011 05:01 PM, Ashutosh Rishi Ranjan wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Ganesan Venkata Subramanian
> <chickoo.iyer at gmail.com <mailto:chickoo.iyer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi All
>     I think i should make a statement here. What makes an operating
>     system. The kernel as well as its utilities. Correct me if i am
>     wrong. while saying linux we are talking of only the kernel. Then
>     where is the mention of the utilities which make up the os. It is
>     like mentioning the car engine which represents only a part of the
>     car.
>

> Yes, everyone should know about GNU and Linux and their relation. If a
> technical document lacks this relation then its a matter of concern.
> Using Linux as a general term in our day to day life is perfectly ok
> and practical.

Sorry, nor you nor I can force it down the user's throat. Just like I am
not an automobile engineer, so I don't care about which company engine
it has or which company types they assemble with.

Apply the similar analogy here. People who work in automobile sector
just don't care what is beneath. Remember 90%(or even more) of the crowd
using computers just wants to get their work done. They don't care about
the internals. If we cannot abstract the features, then it means we have
failed. I think the automobile industry has succeeded better in
abstraction and encapsulation than software industry.

Lastly, everyone working on GNU tools mostly knows they come from GNU. I
know autotools come from GNU, so does Emacs and mailman etc. If someone
using it for 2 years doesn't know that they are GNU tools, then how much
expectation you have that they might listen to you?

--
Manish