[ubuntu-in] one quiery

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 03:58:14 UTC 2011

Hi Harvinder,

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM, tejasbrar at yahoo.co.in
<tejasbrar at yahoo.co.in> wrote:
> Hi ram,
>
> I know ur active and old user. Thanks for help.
> problem is that i use net through airtel mobile connection so speed is slow. Using ubuntu 9.4 v
> want to update to new v.

Do you want to Upgrade the Ubuntu from 9.04 to some newer version.

If that is the case the next version is 9.10 and its technically
possible, but not advisable, to do that over the net.

However the best way to update / upgrade is to get your self the
latest version (stable) in this case 10.10 and use the CD to reinstall
over the old. *However* this assumes that you know your way around
your system.

If not do one of the following (and let us know as well)
1. Spend some time figuring out your system, esp if your /home is on a
separate partition , because if it is then your life is easy
        # check it out in System --> Administration - gparted or
        # use sudo fdisk -l in a terminal and post the output to the
list and then df -h

2. Is your present system WUBI based , dual boot with Windows are
fully Ubuntu. (WUBI -= installed inside windows)

Reinstalling is not necessarily hard if you prepare well but can be a
huge *pain* if all the key parameters are ignored.

regards
ram