[ubuntu-in] Netbooks - suggestions and advise

Prakash Advani prakash at ubuntu.com
Wed Jan 26 05:51:37 UTC 2011

I have a few suggestions here.. My job at Canonical requires me to work
with OEMs such as the ones you have mentioned to ship with Ubuntu. I
thought I will reply to some of the discussions in come common email.

Here are few options.

Dell has Ubuntu options, they launched a new model M101Z, this one has
Win7 + Ubuntu Light which is a small foot print Ubuntu, that boots up
quickly and has a Unity interface for browsing, music.. etc..

Ubuntu pre-installs are now available in India from HCL, Wipro, eSys
(Range Wizard), Simmtronics, Dell and Lenovo..

If you don't get them in your favourite model and if there is a larger
requirement, do let me know.

If you need smaller quantities its better to ask the vendors directly.
The more people ask them, better for us :)

Also some of them have DOS options, not as good as pre-installed Ubuntu
as you may run into driver issues. But would save you on Windows
licensing (tax) if you are not going to use Windows.

The challenges with these companies are they Don't know how to Sell
Ubuntu, they struggle with Demos and hence don't promote it.

If we can form a group of people willing to help them demo Ubuntu in
different cities, we can made a difference.

What is needed for Ubuntu enthusiasts need to go and explain Ubuntu to
general users. OEMs need this support at stores, exhibitions, boots, etc.

If people are interested, let me know .. we can create a list of people
willing to help, cities and availability. Like someone may be available
only on a weekend or evening.

I can then circulate it to these companies.

in a few months Ubuntu will be more commonly available..:)

Regards
Prakash

--
Prakash Advani |http://cityblogger.com