[ubuntu-in] Netbooks - suggestions and advise

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 13:40:09 UTC 2011

Hi

Some friends are planning to get them selves netbooks - they asked me to do
the research and also install an appropriate Linux OS. My choice being an
Ubuntu netbook version

There is a cost constraint - so we narrowed down to a few models those what
offerec DOS (none seem to be offering linux)

1.  Asus EEPC N455 1015
    Intel Atom CPU, 1 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD, 10" Display,Wifi, Bluetooth,
Camera, No Optical Drive, Win XP Home
    Cost Rs 14,500 + 5% VAT

2. Samsung N480
    Intel Atom CPU, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 10" Display,Wifi, Camera, No
Optical Drive, DOS
    Cost Rs 14,500 + 5 % TAX

3. Samsung N150 You can see details
here<http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/computer-peripherals/notebook/others/NP-N150-JA02HK/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail>
    Intel Atom CPU, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 10" Display,Wifi, Camera, No
Optical Drive, Win 7 Starter
    Cost Rs 15,500 + 5 % TAX

4. Lenovo S10 Model NB59-051325  You can see details
here<http://shopap.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/inweb/LenovoPortal/en_IN/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=3634951826AE4D3881BFFF1AC5FCD957&current-category-id=4E3246DAA5444C7F80603EE84E02F931&tabname=Overview>
    Intel Atom CPU, 1 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 10" Display,Wifi, Bluetooth,
Camera, No Optical Drive, Win 7 Starter
    Cost Rs 16,400 + 5 % TAX

I have discarded dell as an option because their quality sucks. the link to
the Lenovo is provided because it think they have one of the best devices.

As far as system specs go they are all pretty similar.

**
It seems cost and specs wise the Samsung N480 seems a good buy (costing just
a shade over 15 K) having a 250 gig HD and 1 GB RAM. Along with all the
other connectivity specs.

**
I know asus and lenovo's are generally compatible with Linux OS, however am
not sure about Samsungs (generally or specifically to this model)

Am concurrently doing a google search on reviews and views but would
appreciate inputs from list members on good netbooks price range 14 - 16 K)
and on samsungs as experienced by you,

thanks
ram