[ubuntu-in] Hardware Surprise in Ubuntu (Wacom Intuos)

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 06:13:24 UTC 2011

Hi

A couple of years back we had got ourselves a Wacom Tablet Intuos series.

A wonderfully enabling device for all those interested in art.

It , of course did not work in Linux (ubuntu or any others) definitely not
out of the box and it required above average linux skills to get it working.

Result was its use under linux was left pending and everytime it needed to
be used we had to dual boot up into windows, which as any self respecting
die hard linux user knows is a damn hard thing to swallow.

The inutos was not mine, so i never gave it much thought - just kept getting
working on Ubuntu. i thought oh this issue is a real pain.

My friends system got updated, got a new laptop and it required me to set up
the Intuos again. Being humbled by my Past experience of not being able to
set it up in Linux i went around to start getting it working on her windows
7 dual boot. Drivers were a pain, i could not get anything right and i was
wincing along,

On a whimsical thought i plugged the wacom into my 9.10 machine and said ah
lets see what happens - Bam there it was Wacom working off the box no new
installation required. I was quite quite surpirsed. I ran it through its
paces (the few that i knew) and wow it just flew.

I plugged it into my friends laptop running Mint 9 and sure enough it just
worked.

Of course since then i have given up trying to find a windows solution and
am now busy making sure the Wacom works to its potential in the process
discovered a programme called mypaint

So you artisty ones - wacom works out of the box in Ubuntu (mostly i
suppose) so no need to wait anymore

enjoy
ram