[ubuntu-in] Netbooks - suggestions and advise

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 13:29:28 UTC 2011

Hey

am looking for some clarifications

right now am downloading UNR should take another 15 hours or so.

There are some unresolved problems with Samsungs N 148 Plus

after some help from
http://twistedpairdevelopment.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/installing-ubuntu-on-a-samsung-n145-and-possibly-others/

i tried to rectify the functions keys but nope it doesn't work

For the second Netbook i am downloading UNR and lets see if it handles
the issue better.

some questions below

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Nandan Vaidya <vaidya.nandan at gmail.com> wrote:
> AFAIK, from Ubuntu 11.04 , there wont be a separate Netbook Edition of
> Ubuntu. Just one ISO with Unity on it and it will choose Unity or Gnome
> Classic depending on your 3D-Graphics capabilities.

Kingsly earlier said that UNR was probably designed with Atom
Processors in mind,

My question is how exactly do different Linux's diffe in their
treatment of processors - intel has a whole range , then we have AMD -
then we have all the smaller processors (or maybe bigger) , so would
each of these have a different linux build optimised for them -

Second if its true from 11.04 there won't be a separate UNR then how
would it affect atom processors

> Also the lpia arch that was used for the Netbooks, has also been dropped for
> a while now.

LPIA	Low Power on Intel Architecture

what do you mean by dropped, and by who
 is it that atoms are no longer low power or is it that Ubuntu has
dropped support for atom processors

which then leads me to ask - whats the point of linux (or ubuntu) on
netbooks if they don't support atom processors

thanks
ram