[ubuntu-in] New Linux User's Group: WBUT.LXUG

Manish Sinha mail at manishsinha.net
Wed Feb 16 17:18:02 UTC 2011

On 02/16/2011 02:57 AM, PRABIN DATTA wrote:
> just want to express the situation. Okay! sorry to everyone.
>
> <snip>
>
> Thanks to all you for your suggestions!!
> But, Waiting for few more suggestion on this.
> Thank you!!

Don't have anything to say much except -  creating a product is easier
than creating a community. Sitting on the internet and sending messages
doesn't create a user group. You have to physically organize meeting and
workshops to get people interested.

Creating yet another group does not solve the purpose unless there is
some concrete reasons. If you want to help out people, why don't you use
NIT-Durgapur LUG (if you want proximity). Or ask them to come on
##linux-india on irc.freenode.net

I have to say that in India apart from regional LUGs, there is hardly
any mailing lists for distro agnostic discussion.

 > Ya! Group shouldn't be bounded to any Distribution like fedora,
Ubuntu, etc.

I don't find any killer advantage in this. Surely it does help in
bringing people closer, but after a certain period, the interest might
fade as people who use Distribution X might find that most of the
questions are for distro X and Z.
"Group shouldn't be found to any distro" is idealism. Apart from LUGs
groups bound to distro are more successful(dont have stats, but personal
experience). Yes this is sad truth.

Groups independent of distro is good idea, but groups bound to distros
are not evil.

I have seen many groups come and go, and learnt the hard way - Be a part
of bigger group and advance it's growth. Or create Local LUG to promote
FOSS at grassroots level.

--
Manish