[ubuntu-in] what constitutes Ubuntu (was: How to build one's own website )

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 11:34:12 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Jkhatri <khatri.jatin at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 12 February 2011 11:22 AM, Ramnarayan.K wrote:
>
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 11:00 AM, maillistindia <maillistindia at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Apart from that, this mailing list is only for Ubuntu. Not for other
> queries.
>
> am thinking there is a serious problem of what people's understanding
> of Ubuntu is.
>
> +1
>
> I've noticed that people are talking much related to general topic like
> suggesting laptops , building websites and sometime to open E-mail address
> !!!!!! etc...
>  instead Ubuntu/Linux stuff,  strange !!!!. It is strange because this list
> is dedicated to and made for Ubuntu related stuff, quires , technical
> problem solving [ I think so , correct me if ].
>
> Its ok , sometime( Note-not regularly ) if you wanna talk to on something
> like other topics ( general ), one should/must  write/mention  the [OT]
> Off-Topic in subject line of the mail

Have you looked at what all people do post and why

Its because people are using Ubuntu as their main os and during the
course of their use they have questions. Am not sure that people are
registered for every single frigging forum / email list out there just
because that is the narrow bandwidth within which one can get answers.

I would like to know how many forums one must be part of to address
all our questions regarding our use of Ubuntu. That is my OS and
anything i do with it is about Ubuntu, or are you trying to tell me
that is not the case.

Some days back there was a hectic discussion regarding use of
GNU/Linux instead of Linux. (Of course no one said that was off topic
) but the gist was that Linux is broad and relevant and GNU/Linux was
a narrow view point and that broad was preferable

I actually challenge anyone to say posting about asking about drupal
and joomla and how to build a website is off topic. My OS is ubuntu,
the tools i am talking about are available in Ubuntu repos what more
do you seek - that every friggin second word should be friggin ubuntu.

Its quite clear that people who scream "off topic"  are not consistent
in what they think is off topic.

 - none of those folks who replied back to thwe websites thread said
off topic to "asking about a linux magazine" or about searching for an
indian email service. If asking about tools to build a website , on a
friggin Ubuntu OS, is off topic,  then so are the above two.

I want to point out that for me these two mails (about a linux mag and
about a indian email service are acceptable, want to why - because
these folks are by and large part of the community - and they (we
think) we have the freedom and the right and the faith to ask
something that we feel our "friends" on the Ubuntu community might
know about.

**
To further add - if we start applying the various off topic rules the
only people who will be left on this list are those developing ubuntu
software and employed by canonical or something like. The rest are
always going to be off topic.

ram