[ubuntu-in] Some more ideas for a RSS Reader

Sat Feb 5 13:29:05 UTC 2011

For some weird reason, I couldn't post from my previous email id. So I
have had to create a new one.

This is the probable set of features:
1) Subscribe to RSS 0.9x, 1.0, 2.0 and Atom feeds
2) Download podcasts and save in the file system.
3) Freely configure your keyboard shortcuts
4) Search through all downloaded articles
5) Categorize and query your subscriptions with a flexible tag system
6) Integrate any data source through a flexible filter and plugin system
possibly through "extension system" (Opera/Chromium). Firefox is still
running in a terrible beta and I really don't mind shifting to a "browser"
if it gets my work done. For the time being, I am in Opera.
7) Automatically remove unwanted articles through a "killfile" (this is
something that no one has implemented)
8) Define "meta feeds" using a powerful query language
9) Port and exporting your subscriptions with the widely used OPML format
10) Keep all your feeds in sync with Google Reader (they have an API for
that!)
11) Download all the articles in one single pane; for example the you tube
videos and fetch complete articles.
12) There is a lot of things happening in medical field. For example,
there is a web site called as Mendeley (www.mendeley.com) which allows one
to store the articles and meta data. Suppose the feed reader were to be
integrated with Mendeley AND Twitter, the existing data/RSS feeds can be
cross checked in REAL time. I think, one has to port their API (someone
has to think about making a plug in for this!).
This RSS Reader, in my humble opinion, would then become a "content
discovery platform". You can use this reader to search for stuff of your
choice. Get an API of say "Hacker News or Digg", tag by keywords say
"ruby" and everything related to "ruby" would be there in it.
Then see for the contextual linkage- how well the articles are related by
means of a simple tag cloud. Voila! You have the best content offline :)
Is this possible?

The listed suggestions are not cool. It has to be either implemented from
ground up or some other way. Or a GUI needs to be provided.

What is the opinion?

Please provide suggestions!

-