[ubuntu-in] Problem installing Maverick on lenovo

Rohit R rohitsilentkiller at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 12:54:09 UTC 2011

The program jockey (system->admininstrator->additional drivers) works only
if you have an internet connection. Also I do not think Broadcom STA driver
comes with the Ubuntu CD. Easiest way out is you to get a temporary LAN
connection and try installing the driver from synaptic.

Or else you can compile STA driver from source. Follow the instructions in
the blog
http://ubuntu-funda.blogspot.com/2010/06/manually-compile-broadcom-sta-driver.html

<http://ubuntu-funda.blogspot.com/2010/06/manually-compile-broadcom-sta-driver.html>Wishing
you luck,

On 3 February 2011 17:46, Neha Jain <neha.hbti.it at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I tried to run maverick first from the CD, live everything was working
> absolutely fine. Then I installed(simply, erase and install) maverick on the
> machine, but it ended up with an I/O error. I tried again, again the same
> error. Next time I tried to install after rebooting, though it got
> installed, but when I tried to activate the Broadcom STA wireless driver, it
> never showed up in the apt-cache or in the
> system->admininstrator->additional drivers.
> I thought may be its because the complete packages have been copied  from
> the CD.
> I prepared a bootable USB with maverick and tried another format using the
> USB. But this time when I ran it live from the USB, it showed SystemError:
> InstallArchives() failed. This happened for Broadcom STA as well as software
> Modem driver. when I try to do
> $sudo apt-get update
> It fails saying failed to fetch from the web address..
> I have no LAN connection at present, All I have is a wireless connection,
> to which I am unable to connect. What can I do, to resolve this problem..?
> Is this a specific issue or some bug with maverick as in
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/jockey/+bug/626320
> I have tried http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1593717&page=2
> No help..
>
> Please help me. I was very happy till now with my karmic!! or should I
> return to it back?
>
> --
> Smiles
> Neha )))))