[ubuntu-in] 11.04 or 11.10?

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 17:27:29 UTC 2011

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 8:49 PM, Vivek Khurana <hiddenharmony at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Linux Lingam <linuxlingam at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > thanks for the advice.
> > makes sense. by then though, the distro-vesion will be new,
> > but my laptop older. :-)
> >
> > so how about if i move up one version for the moment,
> > and then go for 12.04LTS later?
> > which one would you recommend, 11.04 or 11.10?
>
>  10.04 is more stable than 11.04 for sure, unless you want to
> uninstall unity and install gnome desktop by hand. Also, 10.04 to
> 12.04 will be one version upgrade as 12.04 will be the next LTS after
> 10.04 and ubuntu supports LTS to LTS upgrade.

I tried 11.04 live CD yesterday on my old desktop. Since the graphics
card (or it's driver) on my machine was not good enough 11.04
defaulted to GNOME session. So that means GNOME desktop is available
by default as a fallback. And of course this is GNOME 2.x version.
So I think it is safe to upgrade to 11.04. In worst case you will not
be able to use unity for daily use because of whatever issues it has
and you will have to use GNOME.

11.10 is still work in progress which no one would recommend to casual
users. Also AFAIK it does not include GNOME as fallback but rather
Unity 2d. GNOME 3 is available in repository. Also you are planning to
run it on Macbook which adds another unknown variable. So I would
suggest to wait till 11.10 comes out and at least a month has passed.
Don't ask why - the reason is the same.