[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu 11.04 i386 fresh install does not update pkg database issue

Narendra Diwate narendra.diwate at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 12:31:59 UTC 2011

Installed 11.04 i386 on a spare partition on my AMD64 desktop with Telugu as
default language hoping my mom will try it out.

Installed fine. Tried to update package database after first boot and came
up with the first issue in years of using Ubuntu.

Error as follows:
E:Encountered a section with no package header.
E:Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/in.archive.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_natty_main_binary_i386_packages.
E:the package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.
E:_cache-->open() failed, please report.

Any ideas what this is and how to resolve this. Is this bug already there or
needs to filed.

Regards

Narendra Diwate