[ubuntu-in] Transcribing an audio file

Sanjay Bhangar sanjaybhangar at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 17:40:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> Am unable to get any speech regonignition software to work, so am using the
> next best that is to manually transcribe.
>
> There is a software called transciber - which also gives me unable to find
> speaker output.
>
> So am now  going to do it manually - for that i needed to know if there is
> any software that allows writing / typing while the audio is playing - ??,
> of course the question is what is the appropriate such tool for Ubuntu
>
> I've written a firefox plugin to transcribe video which also works for
audio. It is quite simple - audio / video plays on the left, there's
keyboard shortcuts for pause-play-go back some seconds, insert time-code,
etc. and one big text area on the right to transcribe. It saves the file as
SRT, or you can also just cut-paste that text and save it. It uses the html
<video> tag to play the media, so does not work for mp3 files,
unfortunately. If your files are either wav or ogg, it should work for you.
(better than VLC and manually pausing or something at least). If you also
install the http://firefogg.org plugin, it will encode an audio to file to
ogg for you and *should* then work no matter what format your files are.

You can download and install the plugin from
http://files.pad.ma/speedtrans. If you do use it, would love to hear
feedback. We have been using it for
about a year and a half now, so it is quite stable, but if you report any
bugs, I'll give you a cookie in addition to fixing it :P

All the best - and if anyone else is looking for audio / video transcription
software, please do try this tool - is always nice to have more people using
/ testing it :P - and please feel free to ask me for any help / questions.

cheers,
Sanjay

p.s. if anyone is interested in viewing the source code:
http://code.pad.ma/speedtrans