[ubuntu-in] compiling abiword from source

Kingsly John member+ubuntu at kingsly.net
Thu Apr 7 07:19:12 UTC 2011

+++ dd [2011-04-07 12:31:33]:

> In my /usr/lib folder there are already the glib-2.0 and gtk2.0 folders
> present. and most of the programs installed in my pc require gtk to run
> properly. So, I definitely have it installed. Then why is the error? I see the
> configure script searches for dep.s in /usr/lib/pkgconfig; which doesn't have
> the missing packages.

What you have installed are the binary libraries/runtime (.so files). Which
are only used by pre-compiled software. To compile your own programs that use
them you need the devel package which contain the headers

For eg.

librsvg2-2 - SAX-based renderer library for SVG files (runtime)
librsvg2-dev - SAX-based renderer library for SVG files (development)

So for each of the missing libraries mentioned in the output of ./configure
you'll need to install the corresponding -dev package. And their
dependencies.

Kingsly

     Kingsly At Users Dot SourceForge Dot Net  -- http://kingsly.org/