[ubuntu-in] [Indlinux-group] Offline DVD for Ubuntu India supporting indian languages

Arjuna Rao Chavala arjunaraoc at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 6 12:26:25 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 2:20 PM, Ramakrishna Reddy <ramkrsna at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 10:32 AM, Arjuna Rao Chavala
> <arjunaraoc at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > 11.04 is going to debut with Kannda and Telugu support from Boot level.
> > Already Hindi, Tamil, Malayalam, and several other languages are
> supported.
> > The standard DVD does not accomodate ibus-daemon. The spell checker for
> > Firefox in Indian languages will not be available. Has anyone  made a
> > customised or plans to make  Ubuntu, so that the feedback from the
> different
> > volunteers can be taken to produce the same. Earlier PC Quest used to
> > produce India specifc DVD, but I am not sure whether that initiative is
> > still on.
>
> Fedora / RHEL based based images can be customised with Kickstart, you
> can also make live images with livecd-tools spin-kickstarts.
> For telugu :: Swecha project had a Live CD. Kannada project had a
> debian based live CD. I still have the images for kannada, I will
> upload it if you want to take a look.
> --cut--

I do have sample CD/DVDs of Kannada distribution.  I have seen Swecha
distribution. BOSS Linux comes close to India specifc custom DVD. But as
their release schedule is not clear and the engagement with FOSS community
is limited, I am exploring  other options to produce a dvd with India
specific customisation with Ubuntu/FOSS community  engagement.

Cheers
Arjun