[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu - Where is the space going

Narendra Diwate narendra.diwate at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 09:06:08 BST 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 5:23 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com>wrote:

> saw what the others have already written like df -h and maybe dot files
>
> Adding to that
> 1) do you have an indexing software that works automatically - if so its
> cache sometimes become pretty big esp if external disks are added (if you
> had set it up that way)
> 2) similarly some photo manager which caches thumbnails
>
> **
> did you use Baobab (Applications - Accessories - disk Usage analyser)
> it may not be command line but its provides super views of where space
> is going.

Replies here:
 1. No, no indexing software.
2. All thumbnails were removed from dot files before the measurements were
done. And no photos were there in /home. I do not use any photo manager

Though i did use the app above for looking at the disk space, it was only to
look at the total. Thatš what i am beating myself for NOT doing.

As far as i know there was nothing that was user generated to warrant that
much of space getting used. What was there was already accounted for a
mentioned above. The only possibility that i see is Apt cache (which was
emptied before the numbers were taken, so thatš not it) and LOGs (which were
not looked at ) But logs cant possibly occupy 3.5GB. Thats huge. I also dont
have amalfunctioning system or an error prne system that so much of logs get
writte. I cant see any other place that something can be hidden and go
unnoticed or unaccounted.

Regards

Narendra Diwate