[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu/Knoppix on ext2/ext3 FS on usb stick

Jkhatri khatri.jatin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 07:13:55 BST 2010

On Friday 17 September 2010 11:34 AM, Narendra Diwate wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Jkhatri <khatri.jatin at gmail.com
> <mailto:khatri.jatin at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     Anyone can light on this,
>
>     I'm installing Linux on my usb 16GB stick , but I'm wondering why
>     only vfat partition is needed to install the Linux on usb stick ,
>     why we can't use extX type of FS to install the Linux????  is it
>     necessary to have vfat partition to install Linux instead of its
>     native FS... ? is there any solution for this ?
>
>     I came to know that , SYSLINUX uses vfat .... thats why it is
>     required ... but the same thing never happened in case of HDD ...
>     I never formated my hdd with vft to install Linux, it boots from
>     extX type of partition ... then why we need to format usb stick
>     with vfat ????
>

> Grub does not need FAT, so using grub should solve this. Just tried
> Unetbootin Tinycore to a Ext2 formated USB. Failed to boot. Didn't
> investigate.
>
> HDD doesn't use syslinux, it uses grub, grub2 or lilo in most cases.
>

> Regards
>
> Narendra Diwate

how to use grub/grub2  boot KNOPPIX from usb stick ??? any idea

any link ?

--

Jatin Khatri

Web www.khatrijatin.co.nr <http://www.khatrijatin.co.nr/>

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin <http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin>

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save Paper, Save Environment.**
/*(Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)*/