[ubuntu-in] File systems on windows

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 14:53:04 BST 2010

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 12:23 PM, Narendra Diwate
<narendra.diwate at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have not used windows vista or 7 at all, so don't know. Which file
> systems do vista & 7 support natively  other than ntfs and fat without
> adding any 3rd party programs. Do we also need to install video and
> audio drivers separately.
> Also which programs are included in the default install not counting
> ie and media player.

 Your talking about windows, right

Some friends recently got them selves the B series laptops - another
friend helped to make sure the onboard windows was fully loaded. He
said that it took him the better part of a day doing that and this was
after lenovo had a page deidicted to getting all the additional
drivers for the machine. None of this involved installaing any
productivity software (none was installed) . So yes some audio , video
drivers are needed additionally , for some machines.

I have not looked at a new windows install recently but from this
experience its safe to say that one needs to spend time, lots of time
to get a windows machine into a state a linux machine comes with its
default installation.

**
Two days back i installed Linux Mint on an atom desktop - it was fully
functional within an hour (from PCDOS to Linux Mint 9) - it took
another 1 hour on a broadban connection to get updated. The only
additional software i installed was skype. Everything worked - no
drivers, no conductors no ticket collectors additionally required.

ram