[ubuntu-in] New dual boot installation queries

Jkhatri khatri.jatin at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 13:45:53 BST 2010

On Friday 08 October 2010 04:06 PM, Ramnarayan.K wrote:
> Hi
>
> Wonder if people read this mail, if so still looking for advice. esp
> on how to maintain the windows boot loader as primary
>
> See original mail below
>
> ram
>
> On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 11:21 PM, Ramnarayan.K<ramnarayan.k at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Some weeks back i had posted about Ubuntu "possibly" messing up a new
>> dell system and crashing the whole installed OS's. The dell machine
>> has come back with a fresh wincedows. Am not sure what the problem was
>> as Dell "ain't said nothin"
>>
>> So the machine and its owner have again asked me to help install
>> Ubuntu. This time i was thinking of taking some precautions before
>> doing the install
>>
>> These are my thoughts (and questions)
>>
>> 1. Use clonezilla to clone the existing system on to an on board
>> partition. So if there is a problem then to just reclone it back

Thats good idea ....

>> the machine is 64 bit so which clozezilla should i use - only debian
>> seems to have 64 bit Clonezilla

you can use i386 or i686  ...there is no bind

>> 2. Try and get the wincedows boot loader to be primary - no idea how -
>> *so i hope some one can advise on how to do this*
>>
>> so what advice
>>
>> thanks
>> ram

as per my understanding you want windows boot.ini/BCD before GRUB.. is
it ????

I'm not sure about it.....  I think it is not possible ...

--

Jatin Khatri

Web www.khatrijatin.co.nr <http://www.khatrijatin.co.nr/>

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin <http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin>

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save Paper, Save Environment.**
/*(Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)*/