[ubuntu-in] Help with installing Epson Scanner 4490 on Ubuntu 9.10

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Tue Oct 5 17:23:22 BST 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 7:54 PM, Narendra Diwate
<narendra.diwate at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 7:11 PM, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> the reason i bought it was that it was a linux compatible slide / negative scanner , have never been able to get it to work on Ubuntu and desperately want it to work (on Ubuntu) so we can have a free system
>>
> Sorry. Follow up Q. How much did it cost and what is the quality of the scan (slide/negative) in which ever OS it has worked?
>
> The reason i am asking is, i have a Film SLR that i am not using, because of the cost of film+developing+printing factor when compared to a DSLR (which i cant afford ATM). I know a DSLR is a long term solution and a scanner cant be, but an idea.
>
> Sorry once gain for the OT.

It works well under windows (having used it for pictures, film
negatives, film positives ) and Mac, and is supposed to work under
Ubuntu as well.

It cost about 17 K - it also has an option for an ADF (again unique in
its range of activities)

As a solution for a replacement for a DSLR - no its not worth it - if
you add the cost of film and processing + time + turn around time for
processing then its *definitely* not worth it.

However to convert legacy stuff and as a general high quality scanner
it is worth it, and if one can invest in the adf then wow (the adf
costs as much as the scanner)

ram