[ubuntu-in] Deleting contents of /usr directory - Implications

Nandan Vaidya vaidya.nandan at gmail.com
Wed May 26 06:57:54 BST 2010

Distrowatch Weekly <http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20100524> - An
> interview with NimbleX as given here
> *"DW: *Your operating system is based on Slackware. What sort of features
> does NimbleX offer over plain Slackware?
>
> *BR: *I like that Slackware doesn't make strange things with packages as
> I've seen in some of the other distros and I like that Slackware is meant to
> be a pure Linux that doesn't bring very specific tools. Thus far it has been
> a very good starting base for NimbleX which works as live Linux under the
> hood. The way NimbleX works means that you can't really break it. *Even if
> you decide to save the changes in a file or in some other way, if you delete
> the whole /usr directory, at next reboot you'll still have everything there
> *. If someone chooses to save changes and overwrites important files with
> something not OK, just deleting the changes will bring back a system that
> worked exactly as it did when it was installed."
>
> Is this behavior specific to Slackware/NimbleX ?

I am quite sure it is only specific to NimbleX and not Slackware either. I
have Slackware 13 installed on a spare laptop and I am quite sure its /usr
directory is fairly similar in function to other distros, although I have
not used it extensively enough yet !

NimbleX must be designed in such a way that the "core/essential" stuff in
/usr that is needed by other programs is created/generated from a cd/usb at
each boot. This way you get a clean setup of the essential stuff in /usr

The above is just an assumption, I have not read the DW
article thoroughly enough :)

Thanks,
Nandan.