[ubuntu-in] Deleting contents of /usr directory - Implications

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Tue May 25 14:46:19 BST 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 3:27 PM, Narendra Diwate
> <narendra.diwate at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I just checked my /usr and ITS BIG. 1.8GB and 115000 files in it. I do not
>> have too many programs installed, have only one user on the system and am
>> very conscious of how much space my OS occupies. That is a lot of space.
>
> You have Ubuntu desktop system installed right? That is approx 1500
> packages installed. In terms of number of programs (apps/libs etc) I
> would say that is at least 800.
> 1.8G is not 'a lot of space'. A desktop install for Ubuntu takes
> around 2 GB total. Consider what all applications you get in base
> install - browser, IM, email, media players, games, complete office
> suite, CD/DVD burning tool, photo manager, scanning/printing out of
> box, PDF reader, torrent client. Do you still think you are wasting
> too much space? :-)

> /usr contains data related to almost 95% of applications. So if you
> delete the content try imagining what will be state of the machine.
> I am not sure why DW weekly gave advice about deleting the data form
> this directory. By the way what is DW weekly?

Excuse me please the following is my /usr

/usr - 9.2 GB
/usr/Share - 5.6 GB (of which icons only are 1.9 GB)
/usr/lib - 2.5 GB
/usr/src - 601 MB

my entire root directory is
/dev/sda7                12G

am using Ultimate edition 2.5 (based on 9.10) and i laid my hands on
30 gig of repos so have tonnes installed.
 I think in the upgrade will have to be a bit rational ;-)

ram