[ubuntu-in] Indian Languages on Ubuntu

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Tue May 25 10:55:56 BST 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Narendra Diwate
<narendra.diwate at gmail.com> wrote:
> @Ram: Thanks a ton. That was helpfull. How do we type in Indic Languages on
> a standard keyboard. Do we need to use a overlay on the keyboard to show the
> various charecters or any other way.

Welcome and glad to be of some help

More Answers
1. Depending on the language you want to type in and the keyboard
options available (some languages may have more than one like Hindi
/Devnagari has Hindi Typewriter, Inscript and Bolnagari Keyboard
Layouts) you could choose to get stickers and stick them on your
keyboard. In my case i use inscript and have made a file that show me
the layout and in the meanwhile have memorized the inscript keyboard
(its quite simple one you begin using it)

If its a desktop there is space on th keys for stickers , on  a laptop
it makes it look cluttered.

(for Inscript keyboard users i can send you the keyboard file as a pdf
- i was supposed to keep in on the Ubunt wiki but have not done so so
till then who ever wants please mail me off line will send it)

Personally i prefer inscript because its intuitive and is far easier
to remember than hindi type writer (and even if you know the type
writer is a matter of a week to unlearn and relearn)

> Also whats SCIM, IBUS etc ?

Have no idea and would also like to know

ram