[ubuntu-in] Indian Languages on Ubuntu

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Mon May 24 18:42:52 BST 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Narendra Diwate
<narendra.diwate at gmail.com> wrote:
> The posts over the past few days and a TV advert for the Indian version of
> Linux named BOSS have prompted me to write this query.

BOSS has been around for some time its the CDAC linux version check
out http://www.bosslinux.in/

have never used it so no comments on that

However on the language front.
Actually in Ubuntu its quite easy

The first place to choose is right at setup - where Ubuntu allows you
to choose installation in the n number of languages (am not sre how
many) but a fair bit of indian languages are present

> Though i know a couple of Indian languages, i have used the computer only in
> English like most if not all on this list and computer users in India in
> general. Though i know Ubuntu and a lot of other Linux OS's support use of
> Indian languages, I frankly have no Idea how to use it and to what extent is
> it developed.

am snipping the rest of your post and will run through the mainpoints

To install and enable additional Language support go to
System - Administration - Language Support and go to the install /
remove languages and then just select any (or many) of the languages
you want and then proceed with install. After the installation is
successful (am not sure if a reboot is required) then you will be able
to choose your login language at the time of login.

Thats it you are ready to रोक एण्ड़ रोल

***
additional notes are below
First choosing the language to install is quite easy (as mentioned
first at the fresh install phase) . This choice by default will enable
your computer to boot up in your preferred language of choice, However
this is not final at any stage later on you can install any (repeat
any) and any number of other languages and the the login in time one
can choose which language to boot into (as far as i know in windows
one must buy separate versions for different languages)

In most of the supported languages the basic software that comes the
menu's and interface are  much translated into the language you may
have chosen. However not all the software has every thing translated.

Depending on what your default keyboard choice was (which can wildly
vary - if you want, from your language of choice) , the OS (Ubuntu)
will keep that choice irrespective of which language you choose and
one must choose an additional keyboards (language input) to begin
typing in a particular language (System - Preferences --Keyboard --
Layouts)

In case you have already installed say english language and US english
keyboard its just a matter of a decent net connection to install the
additional language packs

enjoy
ram