[ubuntu-in] Upgrading directly to 10.04 LTS from 8.04LTS

ashish makani ashish.makani at gmail.com
Wed May 12 05:43:15 BST 2010

Hi Guys

I still welcome all your feedback.

But i really couldnt be more dumb...cant even google properly :)

This Ubuntu link describes upgrading from 8.04 LTS to 10.04 LTS
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades

<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LucidUpgrades>

You can easily upgrade over the network with the following procedure.

   1.

   *Press Alt-F2 and type **update-manager --proposed*
   2.

   Click the *Check* button to check for new updates.
   3.

   If there are any updates to install, use the *Install Updates* button to
   install them, and press *Check* again after that is complete.
   4. A message will appear informing you of the availability of the new
   release.
   5.

   Click *Upgrade*.
   6. Follow the on-screen instructions.

It's going on, as i type this.

Ubuntu ROCKS !

cheers
ashish

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:36 AM, BR!j!TH <brijithp at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> With my little knowledge I will go for fresh installation of Ubuntu 10.4.
> In that case you have install all the application you are using once again
> in the newly installed..
>
> anyway let's  wait for more reply. There may be some other way to do
> it easily
>
> regards,
> brijith
>
> On 12 May 2010 09:57, ashish makani <ashish.makani at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks
>>
>> On one of my university machines, we have an older Ubuntu version 8.04 LTS
>>
>> I want to upgrade to the latest 10.04 release(lucid lynx).
>>
>> I think  i have 2 options
>>
>> *1. Using the update manager*
>>
>> Is there a way to upgrade directly to 10.04 using Upgrade manager ?
>>
>> When i run Update manager, it shows release 8.10 is available.
>> Do I have to upgrade, release by release,
>>
>> 8.04 ==> 8.10,
>> 8.10 ==> 9.04
>> 9.04 ==> 9.10,
>> & then 9.10 ==> 10.04
>>
>> *2. Installing from CD ?*
>> *
>> *
>> The other option that i thought of is, burning the 10.04 iso on a cd/dvd ,
>> & try to install from cd.
>>

>> I am kind of a linux/ubuntu n00b & want to upgrade to 10.04 fast, with as
>> little effort as possible :)
>>
>> Which one do you experience Ubuntu hackers  recommend ?
>>
>> Are there other better ways ?
>>
>> Advice/Links/Suggestions/Comments welcome
>>
>> Best,
>> ashish
>>
>> --

*"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life,
when all that we need to make us happy is something to be enthusiastic
about."
-- Albert Einstein*