[ubuntu-in] Upgrading directly to 10.04 LTS from 8.04LTS

ashish makani ashish.makani at gmail.com
Wed May 12 05:27:40 BST 2010

Hi folks

On one of my university machines, we have an older Ubuntu version 8.04 LTS

I want to upgrade to the latest 10.04 release(lucid lynx).

I think  i have 2 options

*1. Using the update manager*

Is there a way to upgrade directly to 10.04 using Upgrade manager ?

When i run Update manager, it shows release 8.10 is available.
Do I have to upgrade, release by release,

8.04 ==> 8.10,
8.10 ==> 9.04
9.04 ==> 9.10,
& then 9.10 ==> 10.04

*2. Installing from CD ?*
*
*
The other option that i thought of is, burning the 10.04 iso on a cd/dvd , &
try to install from cd.

I am kind of a linux/ubuntu n00b & want to upgrade to 10.04 fast, with as
little effort as possible :)

Which one do you experience Ubuntu hackers  recommend ?

Are there other better ways ?

Advice/Links/Suggestions/Comments welcome

Best,
ashish