[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu Desktop Environments

Mallikarjun(ಮಲ್ಲಿಕಾರ್ಜುನ್) mallik.v.arjun at gmail.com
Wed May 5 04:34:43 BST 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 7:14 AM, NARENDRA DIWATE
<narendra.diwate at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have recently installed LXDE alongside Gnome in Ubuntu 10.04. After
> starting the system I just looked at the System monitor to see the RAM usage
> in each case.
> GNOME uses about 270 MB of RAM, LXDE uses 185 and OpenBox uses 165 MB.
> However with GNOME/Openbox the processors were showing 90-95% use.
>
> So among the Ubuntu variants, does any one use any other DE other than the
> regular GNOME/KDE. In terms of installed size and memory (RAM) use which
> Desktop Environment / Window Manager would be most small / efficient. Say
> the whole system installed on around 1GB and RAM of around 125MB. And how
> can this be done. I know i can install the DE/WM in parallel to gnome, but
> will it be possible to remove Gnome and install the other DE /WM. Is this at
> all possible to install just the base OS and them chose which DE / WM and
> apps i chose to install.

Well, it is quiet hard to exactly say that my system uses 160MB of ram,
depends on various factors, like your ram, services running, applications
running, size of swap...

Yes it is definitely possible to completely remove Gnome and install other
DE's either manually --> use Synaptic package manager or
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD (I haven't tried,
but should work AFAIK) and install everything starting from network manager
to audio players...