[ubuntu-in] Boot from from lucid ISO directly,using grub2

Onkar Shinde onkarshinde at gmail.com
Mon May 3 18:53:43 BST 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 11:02 PM, Srihari k <harisulthan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Please look in to this thread.

> I tried to boot the iso using editing /etc/grub.d/40_custom
>
> It booted properly.
> It started the boot process.Every thing went fine.  I am sorry i dont
> remember the exact step but system got stuck.Mouse pointer was
> shown,Black screen,num-LOCK was stuck.Mouse pointer stuck
>

> Here is my 40_custom
>
> menuentry "UbuntuLucid" {
>  loopback loop /wrk/ubu/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso
>  linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper
> iso-scan/filename=/wrk/ubu/ubuntu-10.04-desktop-i386.iso  noeject
> noprompt --
>  initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
> }
>
> Dont forget to update-grub after u edit this file
>

> Can anyone check if the boot from iso method works  for them.

It was working perfectly fine for me on a karmic setup with grub2 as
boot loader.

I think the problem in your case is improper lines in 40_custom. For
example, everything from 'linux (' to noprompt should be on same line.
Also those two dashes '--' should be removed.
Try these changes and report back.

Onkar