[ubuntu-in] [FYI] Ubuntu 10.04 LTS & Updates

NARENDRA DIWATE narendra.diwate at gmail.com
Mon May 3 14:15:18 BST 2010

Hi Chaitanya,

> I completely installed Lucid from the scratch and it feels nice. While I
> tried Live mode, everything worked fine. No a single glitch. But after
> installing, I am unable to see the grub menu and the splash screen.
> Everything is black screen that I can see and then comes the login prompt.
> can then login and work normally. But this is a weird behavior. I have
> installed it on Dell Optiplex 330n with Intel G31/33 integrated graphics
> controller. Anyone has seen this?

I did a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.04 and later added another linux distro
and updated grub. I can confirm the Foll:
1. If Ubuntu is the only OS, then GRUB menu and Splash do not appear. They
are part of the method to speed up boot and it shows. Against almost a min
with 9.10 now its is much faster.
2. After installing another OS and updating Grub, the grub menu did appear.

All in all very happy with 10.04. everything has worked as expected. Even
display resolution of 1024X768 without Hardware drivers. Off course i do not
use effects.

The one thing that is a problem is the panel icons move from their place as
in earlier versions.
Regards

Narendra Diwate