[ubuntu-in] preview icon for video files

Alok Singh Mahor alokmahor at gmail.com
Sat May 1 12:45:13 BST 2010

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshinde at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:10 PM, Alok Singh Mahor <alokmahor at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > In Ubuntu 10.04 nautilus is not showing preview icon for video
> > files(.avi,mpg etc). its not showing preview icon even for small files.
> > I tried in nautilus Edit >> preference >> preview (tab) to enable preview
> > for large file too. but its not show preview icon for any video files.
> > please tell me how to enable preview icon for video files.
> > thank you
>
> The preview icons are generated with help of totem which in turn
> depends on gstreamer for frame extraction form these video files. Make
> sure you have appropriate gstreamer plugins installed. You can verify
> this by trying to play the files with totem.

I have already installed gstreamer plugins as totem can play all video
files.
something strange is happening when I open the directory from home , it
doesnt show thumnail, I also have created desktop shortcut for that video
directory. when I open via shortcut on desktop nautilus shows the thumbnail.

> Onkar

Alok Singh Mahor
CSE, IIT Delhi
www.alokmahor.tk

Join the next generation of computing, Open Source, and Linux/GNU!