[ubuntu-in] If not Ubuntu then what

Ashutosh Rishi Ranjan ashutoshrishi92 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 15:15:12 BST 2010

On 23 March 2010 16:37, Amarendra Kumar <er.amar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Great post Ram.
>
> I have been mulling over such issues recently. And similarly, I like Ubuntu
> but I used to love Ubuntu. Some changes have happened that I personally
> don't like and it's bound to happen in case of such a huge user base distro.
> But things like moving widgets to the left side is something I find weird as
> most of the users are windows migrants like me and left side widgets are
> painful too (I tried it on my friends Mac for long enough to be sure).
>
> I am triple booting Vista (for stuffs like Counter Strike etc.), Fedora
> (used seldom, didn't like actually) and Ubuntu is my main OS. I have
> planning on an Ubuntu alternative myself especially in case I have top ditch
> it seeing the growing control over it. I had chosen Arch Linux for that
> purpose which is included in Ram's list.
>
> So I will replace Fedora partition ===> Arch Linux.
>
> I don't know why but I have this strong feeling that I may convert to Mac
> once I can afford one :P
> After all if I have to go for closed open source why not go for a better and
> solid closed closed source.

I am going to convert to a mac too. But...
Mac will be replacing Windows not Ubuntu :P That is if I am able to
dual boot in a mac book pro, the procedure in the forums was pretty
elaborate. But I think I read somewhere that they are working on
easier Ubuntu installations on Mac at the Google summer of Code.

> These developments made one thing clear - I am not going to be a complete
> one-OS convert , not at least in near future. Options are always good.
>
> Somebody once rightly said in an IRC channel: " don't stick to one distro
> for long, you will lose the thrill". I am loosing it :)

Nice line.. But actually Ubuntu keeps up the thrill with its six month
release cycles and all the new features added weekly. I follow 3 main
ubuntu blogs and am surprised and excited about all the amazing
features and news which keep on coming. There are applications I never
heard of and which should have been heard of. Its a fun world of
Ubuntu!

--
Ashutosh Rishi
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish