[ubuntu-in] grub issues in karmic

Mallikarjun(ಮಲ್ಲಿಕಾರ್ಜುನ್) mallik.v.arjun at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 08:31:01 BST 2010

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 10:40 AM, Parin Sharma <parin.sharma at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 11:39 PM, Hrishikesh Murali <
> hrishikeshmurali88 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 4:48 PM, Moz <listmoz at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So there are two other additional lines apart from what you sent, which
>>> are the search and drivemap commands. And the computer does not boot to XP
>>> with this. I have no idea how to edit so that it could boot to XP.
>>>

>> Delete the two lines and try! To edit, go to a terminal and type:
>>
>> $ sudo vim /boot/grub/grub.cfg
>>

> The main menu file, */boot/grub/grub.cfg*, is not meant to be edited, even
> by 'root'.
> Please read more in documentation here <http://bit.ly/aUYpOt>

*(off topic but important)*

I have a kind request to all the users and admins.

As I can see a URL shortened link above so thought of letting you guys know
my opinion.
Url shortened links are dangerous many a times as spammers and phishers are
using them heavily these days.
Example: Some one posts a link and says buy viagara at 80%, you know thats
not what you want and spam filters can easily filter, but if he says
something concerned to the mailing list and post a url shortened link, you
will not know what link it redirects to. It can go to something undesirable
say pornograpic web page  (may be a bad example)

I request admins to take this issue seriously and have it on the guideline
page. (If I have convinced you)

Please preview before clicking
For example:
say your tiny url is http://tinyurl.com/yzxlds7
visit http://preview.tinyurl.com/yzxlds7 to preview which link you are going
to view before clicking

nice podcast
http://podcasts.networkworld.com/panorama/2009/090209pan-cloudmark-urlshort.mp3

An article
http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1356048

Thankyou for your time on offtopic content