[ubuntu-in] If not Ubuntu then what

Anish Mangal anishmangal2002 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 15:15:54 GMT 2010

Hi

Staying on the topic of having complete control over h/w AND s/w for better
solutions, interested folks may have a look at
opencores<http://www.opencores.org/>.
It is an initiative to design open-source hardware. The community strength
is nowhere near what it is behind any open-source distro but its picking up,
though some good amount of work has been done.

In earlier days (and to a large extent, even today) hardware design used to
be exclusively proprietary due to astronomical capital costs involved, but
the trend has changed with the advent of 'fab-less' companies, who basically
design stuff and get it made by someone else. They are the ones who stand to
gain the most out of such an initiative. As a great example AMD, Qualcomm
and Broadcom are all fab-less (meaning no manufacturing capability)!

Regards,
Anish Mangal