[ubuntu-in] Ubuntu 9.10 + Reliance NetConnect Broadband Modem (Huawei EC1260) + NetworkManager = Works Out Of The Box

Nitesh Mistry mailbox at mistrynitesh.net
Sat Mar 20 09:25:08 GMT 2010

On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 02:00:37PM +0530, Abhinav Modi wrote:
> dist-upgrade (also run as update-manager -d) : Upgrade your entire
> ubuntu version to a new version. For eg, currently running this on a
> koala system (9.10) would allow you to upgrade to 10.04 (Lucid :Lynx)
> BETA 1. As Beta 2, RC, and finally stable 10.04 get released, you can
> use this command when you like to upgrade from 9.10 to the then
> current release. THIS can break your system, esp when upgrading to
> Alpha/Beta. :)

I don't think so.
I am running jaunty and i always use dist-upgrade to update my system (and still i am on a jaunty)
Some time ago, i also used the think the same way. But after a little research, found the following
The only difference (i believe) between upgrade and dist-upgrade is that -
* upgrade = safe upgrade (does not upgrade packages that apt-get believes will break the system)
* dist-upgrade = full upgrade (forces all upgrades)
To upgrade to the latest release, i guess, the command is -
do-release-upgrade

Regards,
Nitesh