[ubuntu-in] ubuntu9.04 authentication failed -to go to root.

Sriranga(77yrsold) withblessings at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 12:12:30 BST 2010

Ninad,
thanks for the valuable guidance. Since I am newbie to linux i did not
experiment but followed as per your guidance. extract of terminal reproduced
below:

sriranga at ubuntu:~$ cd tesseract-ocr-read-only-408/
sriranga at ubuntu:~/tesseract-ocr-read-only-408$ sudo password
[sudo] password for sriranga:
sudo: password: command not found
sriranga at ubuntu:~/tesseract-ocr-read-only-408$ sudo passwd
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
sriranga at ubuntu:~/tesseract-ocr-read-only-408$ sudo ldconfig
sriranga at ubuntu:~/tesseract-ocr-read-only-408$ sudo
usage: sudo -h | -K | -k | -L | -l | -V | -v
usage: sudo [-bEHPS] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid] [VAR=value]
            {-i | -s | <command>}
usage: sudo -e [-S] [-p prompt] [-u username|#uid] file ...
sriranga at ubuntu:~/tesseract-ocr-read-only-408$ sudo ldconfig
sriranga at ubuntu:~/tesseract-ocr-read-only-408$ su
Password:
root at ubuntu:/home/sriranga/tesseract-ocr-read-only-408# ldconfig
root at ubuntu:/home/sriranga/tesseract-ocr-read-only-408#

Nothing displayed for ldconfig. where I made a mistake?
-sriranga(77yrsold)