[ubuntu-in] How many of you use an Firewall / AntiVirus

Mallikarjun(ಮಲ್ಲಿಕಾರ್ಜುನ್) mallik.v.arjun at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 08:20:13 BST 2010

Sorry for top posting, as i use mobile to send this mail

Apart from using all these softwares, it depends a lot on us as well like
1) using strong passwords
2) limiting others to have physical assess (very important)
3) using secure browsers and various defensive addons like noscript
4) using trusted and secure dns to avoid any kind of dns caching
5) using common sense, whether to click on this link or not, whether
to trust this application or not ...

I think it is a security risk to comment about ones security mechanism
in a public forum, but as far as my security model is concerned i use
a lot of browser defensive addons some important ones include
noscript, adblock, wot on firefox

On 15/06/2010, Ramnarayan.K <ramnarayan.k at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:42 AM, Jkhatri <khatri.jatin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 15 June 2010 07:45 AM, Narendra Diwate wrote:
>
>> What about you guys. How many of you use a Comprehensive security suite or
>> Antivirus, antispyware or malware programs? What other procedures do you
>> use
>> to keep safe?
>
> Am using Clam AV with Clam TK the GUI front end.This was just in case
> i needed to give someone else some data and the data came from yet
> another 3rd source. Or sometimes if its required to scan my dual
> booted M$ Winceduhs partition.
>
> Often if a removable disk (which has been used on M$ machines) i use
> Control + H to show up the hidden files and very very often i find
> tonnes of malware just hiding, its easy to delete (nd to show people)
> if there are many layers of directories it is quite a pain.
>

> Used to use to use firewalls (like firestarter) but found that i did
> not know whats going on. Its quite easy to initiate though and shows
> statistics and stuff, only thing is i don't know what to read from it
> and how effective it is (post this thread have started up firestarter)
>
> ram

Sent from my mobile device

---
Mallikarjun