[ubuntu-in] Gnome panel disappears after clicking shutdown icon

Manohar Bhattarai manoharbhattarai at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 05:09:35 BST 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Narendra Diwate
<narendra.diwate at gmail.com>wrote:

> I dont think it has anything to do with the kernel update. It may have
> something to do with the gnome panel that you say you have on all 4 sides(?)
> in transparent mode(?).

I did that settings months back and it has been working fine without any
problem. I added panels to all side and made them transparent by adding
panels and changing their settings and that was 4-5 months back. And I am
sure it is not the problem.

The latest update showed me updates for linux-image(something like that i
dont remember exact name). After reboot was recommended I did the same. Then
the next time i tried to shutdown it gave those problems.

If you want the exact updates then please let me know where i can find the
log files. I will paste the contents of that file.

Try to reset it to the default and then modify to your liking.

> Regards
>
> Narendra Diwate
>

> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 18:01, Manohar Bhattarai <
> manoharbhattarai at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>>  I am using Ubuntu8.04 and it showed me some updates (by automatic update
>> manager icon). I updated the system and it has new kernel update too (as now
>> i can see it in boot menu at startup). It recommended restart as it asks
>> after every crucial updates, and i did it.
>> Now a problem has occurred that whenever i click the shutdown icon on the
>> upper right corner or from System>Quit... Then my all gnome panels
>> disappear. I have set gnome on all the four sides of my desktop and they are
>> set to transparent.
>>
>> What may be the problem? Is the new update unstable? I think so. Then what
>> should I do now? Everytime i have to press CTRL+ALT+Backspace to shutdown or
>> log off.
>>
>> I think one way is to use the previous kernel (second on the boot menu).
>> But how can i use the updated version after removing this bug?
>> Please help.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Manohar Bhattarai (मनोहर भट्टराई)
>> Blogs:
>> http://manoharbhattarai.wordpress.com/
>> http://manoharbhattarai.posterous.com/
>> http://manoharbhattarai.blogspot.com/
>> Microblogs:
>> Twitter :- http://twitter.com/manoharmailme
>> Identi.ca :- http://identi.ca/manoharbhattarai
>>
>> --

If you want more details please let me know. But please help me solve this
problem.