[ubuntu-in] Language (Any language) how to enable (typing in and logging in)

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 10:01:48 BST 2010

Hi

This is regarding enabling using other languages on an Ubuntu Linux System.

First a request to the many folk who are on the list. Some of the
questions about enable language has been already discussed in atleast
3 thread before this and all of them within the last 2 months , so if
you are a new list member fine
but if you have been around that you should

a) read all the Ubuntu mails as they come even if they don't interest
you then because at some point you "may" find it relevant
b) check your old mails if a similar post / thread has already been addressed.

Regarding enabling language packs - in the recent past atleast 3
different people have described in careful detail how to enable
languages on Ubuntu.

While people who respond to their strength areas might continue to
respond (as i am ) to repeated specific request it may be more
efficient to do a search first.

So regarding how to enable any language (other than your default
install language) see a simple how to below

At this stage its important to differentiate between typing in a
language and booting up into a language.

A. To begin typing in any language is quite simple -

Tthe method to change the input langauge is controlled by System -
Preferences - Keyboard - Layouts - Add (and then add
your language of choice) For Hindi it is simply India India (if you
want the inscript keyboard) for other hindi input methods choose
accordingly (or for
your language of preference)

One can control how the keyboard changes by specifying in layout options.

In my computer i have enabled left menu for hindi and right windows key for
english

B. Enabling Ubuntu to login and have menus and software GUI options in
another language

1. Start up Ubuntu and have a working internet connection

2. Start up System - Administration - Language Support

3. Select Install / remove Languages

3.1 select Languages (as many as you want) to install
3.2 Select all the components you want ( Translation, Input Methods,
Extra Fonts)

Install

4. If you want to change the default language for menus and the
startup you can do it as this stage

Thats it , every thing is now setup

Now to logging into any language -

Log out ,
In the log in interface at the bottom there will be a language option
- select the langauage of choice and login in

The same method can be used to change back to any other language,
there is also an option of setting up any language as default , or

I installed the supposed language packs. but this seems to not have be
enabled, logged in and out and even restarted the computer but hindi language
option is not available.

Initially i had typed out a mail to ask for help but the mail would'nt go so
searched around and found in preferences

System - preferences - Language support

on accessing this it asks whether you want to enable language support - it
shows almost every language under the sun (and i think some under the moon as
well) am not sure this is a good idea, just an overload of stuff . So i said
remind me later (that i don't need all this)

Once this window goes off there is another in window at the bacl
 For My menus and windows use :

For everyone at Startup and login use

There is a keep the same box

Keyboard Input method has a few options

and there there is a loop back to install language

Initially i wondered if selecting any language other than english would wreck
my system and make it difficult to navigate / type in passwords etc.

However I unchecked the "keep the same box" and in the For my menus and
windows use - I selected hindi

In the for others i kept it as english (india)

I logged out and voila once i select a user (in my case the default user) i
get the option on the lower left to choose between english and hindi (bharat)
Luckily the menus etc change not the input method - which continues to remain
english.

Fo those who may not know the method to change the input langauge is
controlled by System - Preferences - Keyboard - Layouts - Add (and then add
your language of choice) For Hindi it is simply India India (if you want the
inscript keyboard) for other hindi input methods choose accordingly (or for
your language of preference)

One can control how the keyboard changes by specifying in layout options.

In my computer i have enabled left menu for hindi and right windows key for
english

i have also added a short cut to my top panel (right click on panel and select
keyboard indicator) pressing on this loo[ps through all the languages one has
installed. I have 2 so its just one click to change languages.

hope this is useful to some

ram