[ubuntu-in] Using hindi as the user interface language in ubuntu 10.04

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 15:09:53 BST 2010

On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Easwar Hariharan <meindian523 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just verified it. Reasonably useful. If she wants to type in Hindi, you'll
> need to get IBus as her input method which would necessitate the IBus daemon
> being started on login. If she is used to Hindi typing, I would recommend
> the Remington (or so, I don't remember exactly), otherwise the phonetic
> method should do just fine, once you get used to characters mapped to some
> unintuitive keys because of the large variety of symbols in Devanagri as
> opposed to English.

i use the hindi inscript keyboard, it is quite simple, even with the
host of characters in the devnagari script, of all the keyboards it is
the best designed. If a person is a regulatr hindi speaker / user it
makes sense to type in hindi rather than the english to hindi work
around.

Keyboard stickers are available and its easy to stick on (not so nice
on the smaller laptop keys).

In case any one needs i can send them a pdf of the inscript keyboard
which would aid in learning and is also useful to have in case one
forgets where some of the strange characters are

ram