[ubuntu-in] Using hindi as the user interface language in ubuntu 10.04

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Thu Jun 3 19:07:33 BST 2010

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 23:11:30 +0900
"Pratik Narain Srivastava" <pratik.narain at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear friends,
>
> Is there a way to install and configure hindi as the UI language
> for one user account and english for other so that when the hindi
> user(my mom) logs into her account, she can use hindi and when I
> log in to my user account, I can use english. The change is
> wanted just for the user interface. For websites, I think I can
> use google translate service. Thanx.
[...]

Hindi on Ubuntu should be reasonably usable. Use the Synaptic
package manager to search for, and install all Hindi-related
packages (search for "Hindi", or "-hi" in the package name).
After that, one should be able to choose a language while
logging in, and set that as the default for that account.

What applications would she be using? To the best of my
knowledge, the localise interface should be 80+% complete, and most
applications should work, including OpenOffice. Unless she is
already used to typing in Hindi on a computer, perhaps her biggest
difficulty will be getting used to that.

Regards,
Gora