[ubuntu-in] Error in command grub-install

Jkhatri khatri.jatin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 18:17:05 BST 2010

> root at ubuntu:~# grub-install --root-directory=/media/root /dev/sda
> grub-probe: error: Cannot open `/boot/grub/device.map'
> [: 494: =: unexpected operator
> Installing GRUB to /dev/sda as (hd0)...
> Installation finished. No error reported.
> This is the contents of the device map /media/root/boot/grub/device.map.
> Check if this is correct or not. If any of the lines is incorrect,
> fix it and re-run the script `grub-install'.
>
> (hd0)    /dev/sda
> root at ubuntu:~#
>
> i tried this rub-install --root-directory=/media/root /dev/sda command
> so many times but still it gives me same error again and again.. and
> now i restart my laptop it open a black screen with grub terminal like
> this
>
> GRUB>
>
> and here when i run boot command it gives me ERROR 5. KERNEL MUST BE
> BOOTED BEFORE GRUB (i forgot what exactly the eroor was.)  and now i
> can't login even my windowsXp.
>
> so please help me..
>
> -Ravi Joshi

Ravi

will you try following command

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/media/root /dev/sda

I'm not sure but ,,,,invalid or unsupported executable format  is
usually a result of a mapping error on grub , but you seem to have it
mapped correctly. I can only guess that the device.map might be wrong,
try checking /boot/grub/device.map and see if /dev/sda is actually (hd0)
like grub thinks it is

--

Jatin Khatri

Web www.khatrijatin.co.nr <http://www.khatrijatin.co.nr/>

www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin <http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Jatin>

Phone (+91) 98250 20393

Save Paper, Save Environment.**
/*(Plant at least one tree in your life and nurture it !!!)*/