[ubuntu-in] Off Topic: Running Laptop/Desktop for a long time?

$reeHari theneoindian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 7 18:31:56 BST 2010

if long uptimes can kill your laptop , my laptop would 've been dead by now
.. My current uptime is 5 days and 20 hrs . . I'm seriously thinkin about
setting it up as a server ;-)

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 8:34 AM, Narendra Diwate
<narendra.diwate at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 22:32, nagendra prasad <nagendra802000 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> This is just off topic, but I have just noticed that my laptop is running
>> from 3 days and 2 hrs. My question is will it affect on my laptop's hardware
>> compenets or not? Will it be harmful for a laptop or a desktop to run for a
>> long time? I know it depends on temperature, but its raining from past 4
>> days in Hyderabad so its pretty much cool here.
>>

> I dont think it will affect in any adverse way in the short and immediate
> term, but long term yes. All components have a life span in running life and
> you are using it if it left running. TV's are supposed to have a life of
> 10000 hours or so that i had heard long ago. But if you have good power
> management that shuts down the monitor, winds down the hard disk and so on,
> it should not make a perceptible difference.
>
> On the other hand if its not doing anything why not suspend or hibernate
> instead.

Yours Truly ,
SreeHari
www.twitter.com/Sree_Hari

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow
in Australia." -Charles Schultz