[ubuntu-in] question about Partition-Swap VISTA-LINUX

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 16:53:26 GMT 2010

Hi Mehdi,

Your mail is a bit confusing but here goes

am not deleting anything from your original mail but am putting my
replies inline.

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:40 PM, Mehdi <akrinar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear friends
> Already i install The Linux-Ubuntu 9.10 on my Laptop. It working now but it
> showing the error on the Linux which( the Hard disk fails because of bad
> sector and it showing that replace your hard-disk) I disable the
> notification and i worked on it without any problem.

>  but i want install everything from first.
 meaning you want to install Ubuntu Linux afresh , all over again.

> Note: I install the Linux on the Vista

Did you install Linux from within Windows using WUBI ??

> My Current partition:
> 1. WinRe(EISA Configuration) Primary
> 2. c: Vista  Primary
> 3. d: /Linux primary
> 4. e: Swap  primary
> 5. f: data     Logical driver

from this i am again assuming that Ubuntu has been installed from
within - please confirm that is so

> I use the recovery Cd to install the vista and automatically it install the
> WinRe and Drive C:Vista after that we can add the any partition, I can not
> remove the WinRe partition and i must have it in future which whenevery i
> want recovery my Vista i need it.

Ok no problem with that.

> But may i ask you that:
> 1) Is it necessary to have the Swap partition?
> 2) What is the best type of partition in that situation?

Now my queries to help you out better.
A.
How Much HD Space do you have ??
How much is used by Win Recovery and Wistaa

How much is used in F: Data
B. Swap - depends on how much RAM you have. other can say how useful
SWAP i think putting aside a reasonable about is good. The norm is 2
times what your RAM is (so if your RAM is 1 GB your SWAp should be 2
GB) this can be lowered if you are not doing intensive app usage.

C. Using WUBI is nice and easy to setup but in the long run does not
make for a happy experience so have you considered dual booting Ubuntu
with Linux

As yo already have Wince RE and Wistaa installed you can ver easily
install Ubuntu and make it truly dual boot.

If you do this
 suggest the following partitions
Already Existing :
1. Wince Re(EISA Configuration) Primary
2. c: Vista  Primary

You can have only two primary partitions and the rest need to be under
a logical partition.

I have no idea what your HD looks like, or what size it is so cannot
suggest anything deinite
however if you can make a largish primary partion you can make the
following partions _ using gparted from th live ubuntu CD just before
starting the actual installation

Extended Partition
data     Filesystem NTFS

/boot - 100 MB
SWAP - twice RAM
/ or /root - 4 GB for a very basic install and 8 gig for a more full
fledged one and 12 15GIG for an install where you will never want
space
/home - as much (as big) as you can make it.

What this basic partition does is stores all your user data in /home
and keeps it from the vagaries of your Operating System located in
/root. /boot controls your boot up and is good to keep seperate since
it allows for better management.

My partition table which is dual booted looks like this
/dev/sda1              21G   15G  5.6G  73% /media/IBM_PRELOAD  -
WInce Expee OS which came on the machine - i have deleted the recovery
as its not needed
/dev/sda2              20G  109M   20G   1% /media/SharedT6N - a
shared drived to store wince expee data
/dev/sda7              22G   12G  8.9G  56% /  where linux Ubuntu
Operating System is Located
/dev/sda5              99M   37M   58M  39% /boot -
/dev/sda9             165G   86G   71G  55% /home - my data sections
SWAP                  6 G                               i have 3 G of RAM

hope this helps

ram

PS -  wince expee , wistaa, wince RE are not trademarks and not
registered to any one and may be used instead of the more commonly
used names from the great company that is called M$ or some such. If
you use a pirated version i suggest not telling anyone about it. After
all you would then be a criminal ;-) and hence better to hide.