[ubuntu-in] Linux not boot

Ramnarayan.K ramnarayan.k at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 07:36:04 GMT 2010

Hi mehdi

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Mehdi <akrinar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, But if i reinstalled the Linux my data will be remove and i do not
> have any access from vista to copy the files, Actually it was working but
> after remove some file from Package management , it was unable to boot
> Linux. I think it need to reinstalled from first but is there any way to
> save my files In Linux partition?

Yes i understand, this is the most basic trouble
do you remember if you made any partitions under Linux - for swap
/boot , /root (or just / ) and /home

Please boot into live cd and run this command
-$ sudo fdisk -l

this will show what partitions you have
and also run
-$ sudo blkid

paste both these outputs, it will help find what partitions you have.

**
Data Recovery

Yes again the magical Live CD to your rescue
once booted up in live CD you need to find which partition your /home
is on - by default all your data is here

Once you get there - using the file browser - or simply go from Places
- Computer and mount the partition(s) you think your data is in.

from there you can save / copy your data to th vista section or to an
external HD / Back up location

ram