[ubuntu-in] Gloat Gloat

Ashutosh Rishi Ranjan ashutoshrishi92 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 10:46:13 GMT 2010

And also the CAT examinations last year which were completely ruined because
of a Widows virus. And I don't know if this is entirely true, but I heard
from a good programmer that the virus was more prone to unauthorized cracked
versions of Windows. Kudos to commercial software.

Windows is good. Its not a bad operating system at all. Especially Windows
7. I finally dual-booted with Windows 7 (because I got it as a gift, and
because I got a new computer with good graphics which could play my dream
games) and was fairly impressed with everything. But then the reason why
linux was secure began to become apparent again. Windows had pushed to far
into being 'user-friendly' and in this process instead of being a friend to
the user it was more of an 'idiot-proof' operating system. A very clear 'bad
security' example is that the administrative privileges. You can delete any
number of Windows system files without any use of a password. You can never
do that in any Linux distros, take the example of our awesome Ubuntu. This
is just a basic example of Linux being more secure.

The second being open source. I read this awesome article about how a black
hat hacker would try to make a virus. He has the whole code in front of him,
but so do the ten thousand programmers. He tries to find a flaw to exploit,
thousands find that same flaw and write the fix overnight.  Go Open Source!

Being open source also ensures that the product goes through rigorous
testing before being deemed as stable. Its so cool the way it works.

2. German government warns against using MS Explorer
> snippet "Microsoft rejected the warning, saying that the risk to users
> was low and that the browsers' increased security setting would
> prevent any serious risk.However, German authorities say that even
> this would not make IE fully safe. "

They also said that moving to another browser like Firefox will make you
more vulnerable and MS IE is still the most secure browser. '"Its just one
flaw"".
See, thats the thing they just use the people like Mark Antony in Julius
Caesar (just felt like mentioning this). Most people will still trust
Microsoft because they are the most popular. And Microsoft uses this to
propagate their products and defame linux and other competitions so that
they stay on the top as opposed to working hard to fix problems to stay on
the top.
As much as Apple's policies are against Linux and other things I believe in,
they give me other reasons to absolutely love them whereas Microsoft does
not.

Just hope that big companies start developing linux versions too. Even if
they are commercial like games. It will help Ubuntu to grow.
--
Ashutosh Rishi
Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish